Last Updated on
If you are into wood carving and passionate about it, having a chainsaw for carving will come in handy. Chainsaws come in various shapes and sizes. So, one might get confused while buying it.
Chainsaws are efficient tools. They are easy to maintain and great at saving time and money. Once you learn how to work with a chainsaw, you can master the art of wood carving in no time.
But choosing a chainsaw for oneself is not easy. You have to decide what type of work you are going to do with that. If you are thinking about doing some simple wood carving at home.
You need to get a small chainsaw for carving. For industrial use, get a heavy one.
There are many chainsaws existing on the market. So, it can be confusing for you to choose the best one. And that’s why we are here! Our reviews of the best chainsaw for carving will help you to choose the chainsaw of your dream.
Best Chainsaw For Carving Expert Choice.
WORX WG303.1 Powered Chain Saw.
WORX is one of the most popular chainsaw brands available in the market. Their electric chainsaws are very comfortable to use and come with a reasonable price tag. WORX WG303.1 is one of their best products.
This electric chainsaw is very easy to work it. You can hold the chainsaw with ease. You do not need to have any lumberjack experience to work with this. It weighs 11 lbs, so it is on the light-weight side.
Chainsaws are a dangerous tool to use. But with this chainsaw, you do not have to worry about any safety measures. The WORX WG303.1 comes with a chain brake.
So if any kickback occurs, it will shut down automatically. So, don’t worry about getting injured.
It also comes with an auto-tensioning system. It means that you do not have to tighten your chain manually. Most of the cheap chainsaws do not have this excellent feature.
- Product dimension: 14.6 x 19.7 x 8.1 inches.
- Weight: 11 lbs.
- Chain Size: 3/8 inch, 57 links.
- Bar length: 16-inch.
- 14.5 Amp motor output delivers a cutting performance similar to gas chainsaws for home owners, farmers, and ranchers
- Patented auto tension chain system prevents over tightening; stays at the right tension for hundreds of uses
- Low kickback bar and built in chain brake for added safety; This model does not Include a battery; This is an electric tool; Chain speed : 12 meter per second; Rated voltage : 120V to 60Hz
- Automatic oil lubrication and built in oil reservoir with window level indicator and chain pitch is 3/8 inch, chain gauge is 0.05 inch, oil tank capacity is 200 milliliter
- Includes 3 year manufacturer’s warranty
- It comes with a chain brake.
- Has the auto-tensioning system.
- Automatic oil lubrication.
- Oil view window.
- Three years of manufacturer’s warranty.
- Can’t be used for heavy-duty carvings.
- The oiler needs thin oil.
BLACK+DECKER 40V MAX Cordless Chainsaw, 12-Inch, Tool Only (LCS1240B).
If you are seeking a small chainsaw for trimming your trees faster, this is the one for you. This chainsaw has a tool-less chain tensioning system which ensures easier adjustments.
This BLACK+DECKER 40V MAX Cordless Chainsaw has a wraparound handle. It helps you to use this chainsaw comfortably. This is very light-weight, weighs only 8.3 lbs.
This chainsaw comes with a 40V MAX battery. It allows you to cut woods for approximately 1/1.5 hours. The 12-inch bar and chain let you cut trees that are up to 10-12 inches thick.
The Black and Decker LCS1240B chainsaw has a front guard, which will activate the chain-brake if any kickback happens. The 12-inch Oregon bar and the chain are low-kickback.
It means that it is safer than the other chainsaws available in the market.
Keep it charged and make sure that the oil reservoir is full. Then you are good to go.
- Product dimension: 28.6 x 9.6 x 8.8 inches.
- Weight: 8.3 lbs.
- Chain size: 12-inch.
- Bar length: 12-inch.
- 40 Volts MAX Lithium Ion Battery for longer runtime and overall life
- 12" premium bar and chain. Automatic oiling system
- Suitable for pruning branches and cutting fallen limbs
- Tool free chain tensioning for quick and easy chain adjustments. 40V MAX* 2.0Ah Battery provides over 60 4x4 pine lumber cuts on average per single charge
- Full wrap around handle for comfortable cutting in different orientations
- Tool-less chain adjustments.
- Automatic oiling system.
- Limited two-year warranty.
- Low-kickback chain and bar.
- It takes time to charge.
Oregon CS1500 18 in. 15 Amp Self-Sharpening Corded Electric Chainsaw.
Are you looking for a high-power, low-noise chainsaw for heavy wood carving? Then this is the best electric chainsaw for carving woods and trimming your large trees.
This amazing chainsaw comes with a self-sharpening technology. It allows you to have a blissful wood carving experience.
The Oregon CS1500 is one of the best corded electric chainsaws in the market right now. You can start this chainsaw just in three seconds, no warm-up required!
Its 18-inch blade allows you to cut trees up to 16-inch diameters. It has 15 MPs rotation, which is quite high for an electric chainsaw.
This light-weight chainsaw comes with a tool-less chain tensioning system. If you hit any rock or soil while cutting a tree, you can re-sharpen it by using the Oregon-patented power-sharp feature.
And this process will take only three seconds. The low-vibrating feature of this chainsaw makes it well-balanced. So, if you are looking for a chainsaw with medium power for domestic help, this is your best choice.
- Product dimension: 18 x 37.5 x 10.5 inches.
- Weight: 12.6 lbs.
- Chain size: 18-inch.
- Bar length: 18-inch.
- Includes 18” guide bar and PowerSharp chain, which minimizes downtime by allowing you to sharpen your chain right on the saw in 3 seconds or less.
- Get to work right away with the instant start capability
- The chain stays oiled using the built-in Lubri-Tec oiling system which reduces chain friction and increases the saw’s run time
- No assembly required; comes pre-assembled
- Low noise, silent between cuts. Chain brake for added safety
- Self-sharpening technology.
- Instant start.
- Tool-less chain adjustment.
- Automatic oiling system.
- Low-noise, Low-vibration, well balanced.
- It requires a big amount of oil.
Worx WG322 20V Cordless Chainsaw with Auto-Tension.
Every homeowner needs a chainsaw to do some light-duty tree trimming and pruning in the yard. If you are one of them, this chainsaw is an excellent option for you.
The WG322 cordless best chainsaw for carving by Worx is sleeker than the other battery-powered chainsaws. The 20V battery and 10-inch blade allow you to shape your shrubs or trimming your trees.
You can easily slice through 6-inch thick logs.
This tool comes with a 10-inch Oregon bar and chain. It helps you to work in tighter spaces. But you have to inspect and tighten the chain regularly. The company recommends checking it after every five cuts.
The chainsaw’s runtime depends on the workload. The average runtime is 20-30 minutes if you are doing medium to heavy-duty cuttings. It takes about 1 hour to charge.
If you want to do some chainsaw carving for beginners, this could be the one.
- Product dimension: 25 x 7.5 x 9.5 inches.
- Weight: 6.19 lbs.
- Chain size: 10-inch.
- Bar length: 10-inch.
- [FAST, CLEAN CUTS] This cordless 20V PowerShare chain saw is as fast and powerful as anything in its class. And with no gas and no cord, there’s much less muss and fuss
- [AUTO-CHAIN TENSION] The automatic, tool-free chain tension system ensures you’ll always have the correct tension for the job at hand
- [AUTO-CHAIN LUBRICATION] The automatic chain lubrication system not only makes for smoother, more efficient cuts, it extends the life of the tool. And the oil level indicator lets you know exactly where you stand
- [COMPACT, LIGHTWEIGHT] It weighs 6.2 lbs., about as much as a 2-Liter bottle of soda. You’ll work longer, with less strain
- [DO IT ALL WITH THE SAME BATTERY] Do it all with WORX PowerShare, the only cordless tool platform that uses the same battery to power 20V and 40V tools
- Auto-chain tension and lubrication.
- Faster chain speed.
- Compact and light-weight.
- Great battery power.
- The oil reservoir will leak if not maintained properly.
- Takes time to charge.
Greenworks 16-Inch 12-Amp Corded Electric Chainsaw 20232.
Greenworks is one of the leading chainsaw brands in the market. It manufactures a wide range of highly durable chainsaws. This 20323 corded electric chainsaw is one of their best selling products.
The Greenworks 20232 comes with a powerful 12 amp motor and 16-inch bar and chain. So, it is efficient enough to slice thick firewood or trimming large trees. The tool-free tensioning system saves you the time to adjust the chain while working.
This budget-friendly chainsaw is light-weight yet able to do some heavy-duty works. The wrap-around design on the handle ensures a smooth cutting experience. It allows you to carve your wood at various angles.
While cutting large pieces of wood, the metal spikes provide stability to the chainsaw. It is a user-friendly chainsaw for wood carving. You can choose this for a hassle-free carving practice.
- Product dimension: 31 x 11 x 7 inches.
- Weight: 9 lbs.
- Chain size: 16-inch.
- Bar length: 16-inch.
- High Performance G-MAX 40V Lithium-Ion Battery delivers fade-free power with no memory loss after charging
- Robust 12-inch steel chain and bar with tool-less chain tensioning offers ease of use while delivering the highest cutting performance
- 3/8-inch chain pitch delivers the right amount of capabilities to get those limbs trimmed and cut with minimal kickback
- Automatic oiler applies oil to bar and chain when needed to ensure durability and optimal use with a translucent oil tank for clear view of oil level.Wrap around handle for multiple cutting positions to provide ease of use when trimming at different angles
- 40V G-Max and 40V Lithium-Ion Batteries are not cross compatible; this tool is compatible with the G-Max 2.0 Ah battery (29462) and the G-Max 4.0 Ah battery (29472)
- Light-weight yet eligible for heavy-duty work.
- Excellent motor power.
- Tool-free chain tensioning.
- Metal spikes for stability.
- Quick electric start.
- Automatic oiling system.
- Uses a lot of chain oil.
Echo CS-310-14 Chainsaw For Carving.
Echo is famous for making professional-grade chainsaws within a reasonable budget. And the CS-310-14 model is one of the best Echo chainsaws in the market. It is light-weight yet suitable for medium to heavy-duty carving.
The Echo CS-310-14 is a powerful gas-powered chainsaw. The 30.5 cc two-cycle engine is powerful enough to cut through thick logs. This chainsaw is more of a professional one. Beginners should avoid this tool.
The 16-inch bar and chain help you to slice some large pieces of firewood. The maximum cut diameter is 25-inch. It has a low vibration technology, which makes it well-balanced.
It makes noises up to 90 decibels. So, you may need to wear earmuffs while working. It is a small-sized chainsaw with a light-weight frame. So, it is easy to hold and store.
This chainsaw might be overkill for homeowners who only need to trim some branches and bushes in their yard. This is quite a professional tool.
- Product dimension: 39.5 x 11.5 x 12.2 inches.
- Weight: 6.42 lbs.
- Bar length: 14 inches.
- Price For: Each Fuel Type: Gas Anti Vibration Handle: Yes Item: Chain Saw Chain Oiler: Automatic Includes: Chain Saw, Bar, Chain, 2 Stroke Oil, Operators Manual Bar Length: 14" Fuel Type: Gas Fuel Tank Capacity: 8.5 oz. Engine Displacement: 30.5cc Anti Vibration Handle: Yes Replacement Chain: MFR. NO. 91VG52CQ Item: Chain Saw Country of Origin (subject to change): Japan
- Light-weight is yet suitable for heavy-duty carving.
- Great engine power.
- Anti-vibration handle.
- Overkill for homeowners.
Husqvarna 120 Mark II 16 in. Gas Chainsaws.
Husqvarna 120 Mark II chainsaw targets both beginner and professional users. This gas-powered chainsaw is ideal for those homeowners who want to use this every day for tree pruning and hobby works.
Husqvarna is a reputed manufacturer of chainsaws. They are well-known for their highly durable products. The 120 Mark II is one of their best creations.
This chainsaw comes with a light-weight sleek design. It is easy to maneuver. The throttle lock-out switch on the body ensures the avoidance of accidental start-up runs on the rear handle.
The 120 Mark II comes with a 38.2 cc X-Torq engine. This engine can reduce emissions and ensures better usage of fuels. Because of the automatic oiling system, you do not have to press the switch to release chain oil.
This chainsaw has anti-vibrating technology, which gives it much-needed stability. But this tool creates noise up to 100 decibels. So, this is one of the facts that disappoint us.
- Product dimension: 32 x 9.2 x 10.7 inches.
- Weight: 9.3 lbs.
- Chain size: 16-inch.
- Bar length: 16-inch.
- Compact, casual-use chainsaw that’s designed to start up easily
- Low kickback safety features, including built-in safety break, reduces risk during operation
- Lightweight chainsaw is compact and maneuverable with excellent ergonomic comfort features
- Automatic oiler delivers a steady supply of chain lubrication for safe and effective use
- Husqvarna 16 in. chainsaw for homeowner use is ideal for everyday tasks such as tree pruning, hobby work or firewood cutting
- Superior X-Torq gas-powered motor.
- Low-kickback safety features, built-in safety break.
- Automatic oiling system and chain lubrication.
- Auto-tensioning system.
- Makes a loud noise.
Makita Chain Saw UC4051A, Electric, 16 in. Bar.
The Makita UC4051A is a heavy-duty chainsaw for faster and efficient woof carving. It is a reliable tool if you are new at chainsaw wood carving.
This electric chainsaw comes with a 14.5A motor. It has a current limiter that prevents the burnout by minimizing the power if any overload happens. The engine also has a soft-start technology, and it ensures zero emissions.
The Makita UC4051A has an electric chain-brake. It has a 16-inch bar and chain, which allows you to cut through any dense trees. The automatic chain oiler helps you to work without any disruption. The tool-less chain blade offers an easy adjustment.
It has a rubberized handle that makes the chainsaw stable. This user-friendly chainsaw is efficient enough for homeowners to do some heavy-duty carving on their yard.
This corded-electric chainsaw has a large trigger switch for a smooth start-up. It has a large oil reservoir. The view window permits you to check the oil level while working. This is one of the best chainsaws for wood carving.
- Product dimension: 10 x 24.2 x 10.5 inches.
- Weight: 14 lbs.
- Bar length: 16-inch.
- Chain Size: 16-inch.
- "Tool-less" blade and chain adjustments for convenient operation and easy maintenance
- Rubberized grip handles are ergonomically designed for comfort
- Large trigger switch with soft start for smooth start-ups
- Built-in current limiter helps protect motor from burnout by reducing power to motor when saw is overloaded
- Large oil reservoir with view window allows operator to check bar oil level
- Excellent motor power.
- Light-weight yet heavy-duty.
- Smooth start.
- Low maintenance.
- Rubberized handles.
- Easy to check the oil level.
- Tool-less adjustments.
- Current limiter for safety.
- Has a little chance of kickbacks.
Amazing Fastest Skill Wood Carving With Chainsaw – Extreme Woodworking Skills.
Frequently asked questions (FAQ) about chainsaw for carving:
Question 1: How do you start chainsaw wood carving?
Answer: Wood sculptures are one of the most desirable items. If you have a creative mind and willing to use it on wood carving art, you need to know about some basic things.
If you want to start chainsaw wood carving, you must need to know about two things at first. They are the wood carving tools, and the type of woods you should use for carving.
The Wood carving gadget you need:
The first thing you need is a light-weight and beginner-friendly chainsaw. You should choose a tool with excellent safety measurements. Get a normal to medium-duty carving tool if you want efficiency.
- Personal protective gear (PPE).
You should always use personal protective gear to protect yourself from injuries. Chainsaws are dangerous. You should also get other safety equipment like a helmet, protective goggles, ear muffs, woodworking gloves, and steel toe boots.
- Sketching and pattern tools.
Beginners can use sketching and pattern tools to understand the correct proportions. Any mistakes you make while carving the wood will be permanent. So, create designs and sketches to work with more efficiency.
- Wood coating.
If you want to protect your sculptures against any weather, you need to coat them with various types of coating oil. It will make your carvings last longer.
Type of woods:
There are many kinds of woods available for carvings. Different types of woods respond differently to each chainsaw. Walnut, Mahogany, Oak, Basswood, Cottonwood, butternut, are some of the most used woos for carving.
Wood carving is a form of art. If you give enough dedication, you can master this art.
Question 2: What is the best chainsaw for carving?
Answer: The definition of the best chainsaw for curving depends on the user’s comfort and preference. Finding the right chainsaw is quite tricky. You need to keep some things in your mind while shopping for a chainsaw. They are:
- Size of the wood you are going to curve.
- Type of wood.
- The maximum weight you can carry.
- Your experience with chainsaw carvings.
By keeping those things in mind, you can get a light or heavy-weight chainsaw. But that is your choice to make.
Question 3: What types of woods are used for chainsaw carving?
Answer: There are a variety of woods existing out there for wood carvings. You can use Mahogany, Oak, Basswood, Cottonwood, and Butternut for carving. Basswood is the most used wood for making wooden sculptures by professionals.
- Basswoods are soft, light, and easy to handle.
- Oaks are strong and come with an attractive color.
- Cottonwoods are cheap and easy to cut.
- Butternuts are soft, light-weight, and easily available.
- Mahogany is difficult to work with, but it comes with elegant color.
Question 4: How to install a carving bar on a chainsaw?
Answer: If you want to use a chainsaw for carving woods, you may need to install a carving bar for better detailing. There are some light-weight carving bars available.
They are easy to install and maneuver in small chainsaws. But you can’t just buy a carving bar and install it on your chainsaw. You need to get the one that matches with your tool.
Question 5: What types of chainsaws are suitable for art carving?
Answers: The art carving needs detailing. And if you make any mistakes while carving, that will be a permanent scar on the sculpture. So it is better to choose a light-weight, normal to medium-duty chainsaw for art carving.
Try to get a chainsaw with anti-vibrating technology. It will be easier to hold that chainsaw. Small-sized gears will come in handy if you are going to work in a tighter space.
Facts you should keep in mind before buying a chainsaw for wood carving:
Chain with 0.325-pitch and .050-gauge is recommended for carving.
- Chainsaw power.
It is not necessary to buy a heavy-duty chainsaw for carving. A small chainsaw with medium motor power is suitable for this. But if you are a professional, you can get any chainsaw you want.
If you get a gas-powered chainsaw, 35 cc is enough for medium to heavy-duty carvings. You can get a chainsaw depending on your workload. But the most important thing is the engine oil.
You need a good quality engine oil to keep your tool proficient.
There are two kinds of handles available in chainsaws. They are the top handle and rear handle. So, which one is better?
For carving purposes, the rear handle is the best one. You can hold the chainsaw with stability, and do your details on the sculptures. On the other hand, chainsaws with top handle allow you to work on thick logs effortlessly.
If you are new at chainsaw carving, safety should be your first concern. Get a chainsaw with a low-kick bar. It controls the vibrations and protects you from the injuries.
And for a continuous cutting experience, get the tool with the auto-oiling system.
Which one is better? Gas-powered or Battery-powered or Corded-Electric chainsaw?
It is difficult to decide which one is better. Each of them serves different purposes.
If you get a gas-powered chainsaw, you can do some heavy-duty work for a long time. But they are very noisy.
Battery-powered chainsaws are light-weight and portable. They allow you to work with comfort. But they do not run for a long time. And some of the battery-powered chainsaws take a long time to charge.
Corded-Electric chainsaws are for those people who want to use their chainsaws for some heavy-duty works. As it is corded, you can use it for as long as you want.
You do not have to be anxious about going out of juice! They are also very affordable because they do not need batteries.
So, the final choice is up to you. Whatever you choose, you need to think about your preferences first.
Wood carving is an elegant form of art. Wooden sculptures are very appealing. These sculptures are also highly durable. The wood carving process needs a lot of dedication, but the devotion pays off eventually.
If you want to enter into the beautiful world of wooden art carving, getting the best chainsaw for carving the primary step. If your desired tool is out of your budget, you can get chainsaws for wood carving at a sale.
Chainsaw Carving Tips Which Will Make You Pro.
If you’re a Dyer or some expert woodcarver, then you ought to use a chain saw dividing securely and satisfactorily. Here Is Some Advice to its own convenience.
- Before you begin breaking up, you really should exercise ahead. If not, you might need to throw off the forests with just a tiny bit of blunder.
- This is exactly the reason you need to draw on the design of the style and make a decision on the way to begin out.
- Use soft-wood in the event that you’re just beginning. Redwood can be also a wonderful choice to get started out. Additionally, each of these is insect immune and certainly will take the weather up effectively.
- Constantly maintain the series glowing. You may either end up having a chain saw sharpener or require expert assistance.
- Attempt to maintain various chain-saw different measurements. Each job wants a huge chain saw for cutting on greater chunks after which the bigger one to get functions that are detailed.
- Be more comfortable together with the racket and twist that does occur throughout labor.
- Contain on the equipment together with your hand.
- Following completing dividing, you need to work with a grinder to get greater accuracy on the job.
- Do not neglect to use safety equipment such as ear-plugs, thick gloves, chaps, chest outfits, along with goggles.
This is Michel. I just love machine items. Basically I am a woodworker. That’s why I need different kinds of power tools for my projects.
I know which type of machinery tools are the best for your projects. Read my reviews. It will help you a lot to understand the basic functions of the tools.