Last Updated on
What is the most challenging task you can do with a chainsaw? Well, it is milling woods. Those typical chainsaws for firewood are not capable enough to handle this task. You need the best chainsaw for milling.
Wondering, why? Because the best chainsaw can quickly turn logs into lumber. So, you can use them for housing, crafts, furniture, and so on. But, how to find out the best cheap chainsaw for chopping lumber? Hang on with us.
Many time people ask about.
How do I know if my chainsaw is sharp? The answer is so simple. If it won’t cut smooth and make a deep cut on one side. Because it’s uneven & needs to be sharped.
The Best Milling Chainsaw in 2020: Our Top Picks.
Poulan Pro 20 in. 50cc 2-Cycle Gas Chainsaw.
Our first recommendation is for those. Who is looking for a decent chainsaw for milling? Poulan Pro gas chainsaw offers extra power for heavy job loads. It is one of the best chainsaws for milling slabs, logging, and buckling. The best part is you can handle the toughest jobs with ease.
More Powerful Engine.
The first thing we must appreciate is its most powerful engine. It features Oxypower engine technology which ensures extra power. The chainsaw includes a 2-stroke echo 50cc chainsaw engine which is good enough for almost any task.
- Easy Starting Mechanism.
Whereas most chainsaws keep in struggles to start the engine. Poulan Pro is exceptionally great here. It features a spring-assisted secure pull-start system. This system ensures a solid start as it reduces the pull force by 30%.
Also, it reduces fatigue on the starter mechanism. The chainsaw also has to choke or stop control for faster starting. To ensure a soft start, it also has a purge bulb that provides carburetor with fuel.
The chainsaw is equipped with a filtering system that ensures an extended air filter. It also reduces fuel consumption without sacrificing power. Besides, it provides 70% less emission.
- Safety Features.
The chainsaw includes an easy-grip wrap-around the handle which provides better control. It also has a low kickback bar and a chain brake to ensure added safety.
- Easy Maintenance.
Poulan pro offers secure handling and maintenance. It has a chain tensioning along with easy access clips on the cylinder. It assures fast access to filter and spark plug. It is combined into the rear handle which ensures easy maintenance. I can suggest this one is also the best chainsaw for ripping logs.
- Powerful 2-strokes engine.
- Easy start mechanism.
- Low fuel consumption and emission.
- Safe to use.
- Easy-grip handle.
- Affordable price.
- Easy maintenance.
- Excellent reliability.
- The bar seems flexible but changeable.
Husqvarna 20 Inch 455 Rancher Gas Best Chainsaw Sawmill Reviews.
Husqvarna is leading the industry with its more robust gears for tougher jobs. The Husqvarna saw mill 455 Rancher is one of their powerhouse edition. When it is about lumber related work, it is hard to beat this chainsaw. Probably, that’s why it is considered as one of the best chainsaws for milling lumber.
- The chainsaw comes with a 5cc two-cycle gas-powered engine.
- It features a 20” blade with a guide bar and chain.
- The chainsaw features an automatic chain oiler that offers a stable supply of oil. It helps to keep the chain running at maximum speed.
- It includes the inertia activated chain brake for added safety.
- It has a side-mounted chain tensioning system which ensures quick chain adjustments.
- The chainsaw includes a quick-release filter that assures easy maintenance and replacements.
- With the X-torque engine, it ensures lower fuel consumption and decreases emissions.
- Its smart start technology ensures easy starting.
- The chainsaw also includes a LowVib system that reduces the vibration level. So you can use it comfortably.
- High powered chainsaw.
- Better cutting power.
- Automatic lubrication.
- Quick chain adjustment.
- Lower fuel consumption and emission.
- Sufficient safety mechanism.
- Not as durable as others.
Remington RM4620 Outlaw Gas Powered Chainsaw.
The Remington RM4620 Outlaw chainsaw is designed to withstand prolonged cutting tasks. Along with lots of excellent features, it offers all-around superior performance. Also, it is another chainsaw for milling lumber.
- This sturdy chainsaw features a high-output 46cc 2-cycle gas-powered engine.
- It is equipped with QuickStart technology which makes pull-starts easier.
- The chainsaw features a 5-point anti-vibration system for minimizing kickback.
- Its side-access chain tensioner offers more easy chain adjustment while working.
- The chainsaw includes a cushion wrap handle that offers more comfort while operating.
- The machine also offers toll-free access to filter and spark plug.
- It includes an adjustable automatic oiler that keeps the chain in quality condition.
- The chainsaw comes with a heavy-duty case that allows for more accessible transportation and storage.
- Finally, its die-cast and pro-grade components boost durability.
- Highly powerful engine.
- It offers steady power.
- Anti-vibration system for safety.
- Cushioned handle.
- Quick start.
- Automatic oiling.
- Easy maintenance.
- Easy to transport with the carry case.
- Some users found an issue with starting.
Yiilove COOCHEER 20″ 58CC Gas Powered Chainsaw.
If you need a powerful chainsaw within budget, you should consider the Yiilove COOCHEER chainsaw. One of the best mid-size chainsaws is that it offers maximum speed even with a chainsaw mill. It is another chainsaw for milling slabs.
- The first thing we appreciate is its 58cc 2-stroke engine which offers incredible power.
- It delivers maximum speed up to 8500rpm.
- The engine requires less fuel without compromising the power. It also has an air cleaning system for extended air-filter life.
- It includes an automatic chain oiler to keep the bar and chain lubricated. It not only maximizes the performance but also boosts durability.
- The chainsaw has 20” low kickback bar and chain. Its Quickstart technology offers a reliable start.
- This ergonomic design is combined with a cushion wrap handle. It makes the chainsaw balanced and comfortable to operate.
- The weight of the chainsaw is so low that you can quickly get control over it.
- It offers incredible power.
- Efficient fuel consumption.
- Optimum engine speed.
- Air-cleaning system.
- Automatic oiler.
- Easy start system.
- Safety cushioned handle.
- Comfortable to operate.
- The throat lock button seems defective.
ECHO CS-590 20” TIMBER WOLF CHAINSAW.
Our final chainsaw is a true companion of chainsaw mills. The Echo CS-590 chainsaw is a complete powerhouse for professionals. Whether you are milling the biggest and hardest woods.
ECHO CS-590 delivers the power you need. We must say it is one of the best chainsaws for milling slabs, lumber, and more.
- The chainsaw provides powerful performance through its 8cc engine.
- It supports 20-inch long bar and chain which ensures better cutting while milling and cutting timbers.
- The weight of this chainsaw is only 17lbs. It means the chainsaw is very light compared to its power and size and reduces fatigue.
- It includes a decompression valve for quick and easy starting. This valve assures maximum efficiency.
- The chainsaw includes a built-in vibration dampener, so no more tingling and buzzing in your hand now.
- It features a patented G-force engine air pre-cleaner that ensures better airflow. Also, it helps in quick starting and easy cleaning.
- You can get tool-less access to certain features for assuring convenience during work.
- It has a fuel tank level for easy checking of fuel.
- Powerful professional-grade engine.
- Durable bar and chain.
- Easy starting.
- Better airflow for easy cleaning.
- Enhanced efficiency.
- Built-in vibration dampener.
- Good value for the money.
- The chain guard is not durable enough.
- It is hard to get a replacement bar.
The Best Stihl Chainsaw.
- High Quality Steel and Aluminum Construction
- Cut Cedar, Walnut and Oak into High Quality Lumber
- High-Quality Mill Cuts Beams or Lumber from 0.5“ ”To 13“ Thick and 36” Wide
- Attaches to saw without drilling bar
- Lower price
How to sharpen a chainsaw easily?
The Stihl 2 in 1 chainsaw sharpener is the best gadget for beginners. If you want a tool that easily does your job done with no time. This is the perfect tool for you. Because of Stihl 2 in 1 sharpener is not a complex tool to understand.
And after using this tool for so many times. For this kind of build quality, it stands still. The best part is the price is so low. You can buy another tool by saving money from that. This is the best for the money I must note.
- Sharpens using the depth gauge.
- Great durability.
- Great for beginners.
- Excellent price.
WHY TRUST US?
Milling will always push your chainsaw to its limits. So, you need a chainsaw that can handle milling tasks with ease. The chainsaw designed for milling is relatively expensive than the traditional one. You may find one within your budget, but it may not match your job.
So, how to realize which one is right? To assist you in this case, we have shortlisted some of the best chainsaws for milling. They all are different and offer qualities. That’s why you can trust us.
THINK BEFORE YOU BUY.
Indeed, finding the right chainsaw is overwhelming, but it’s more challenging to use it comfortably. You can cut down large trees into right-sized lumber, only if you have enough control over the machine. To make you understand about these, we’ll discuss milling and chainsaw mill reviews.
We’ll also explore our top picks, so you know their features and work functions. You’ll also find our buyer’s guide, which helps to understand the factors you should consider while purchasing. Towards the end, you’ll be able to fit your needs and budget.
Super Tips for Chainsaw Milling.
What Is Milling?
Milling is a process of removing material from the surface of a workpiece. The process is done by advancing a milling cutter. However, milling wood at home is a method of making flat and square pieces of lumber from logs.
Large lumber mills use a motorized saw to cut more massive logs within an hour. They mostly use a chainsaw and a customized jig to feed hundreds of logs. The resultant lumber has the same length and width.
What Do I Need To Mill My Own Lumber?
If you want to process your own lumber in your large backyard, you can proceed. You only need some dedicated tools in your hand. The first thing is obviously a powerful chainsaw to handle the job.
You may need a chainsaw wood milling with at least a best 50cc chainsaw engine and a 20-inch bar length.
Though this is an assumption, you may need a smaller saw for smaller logs. After a chainsaw, you must need a milling attachment or a jig like an Alaskan sawmill.
These attachments help to cut the size you prefer in your lumber.
Why Would I Want A Chainsaw For Milling?
The chainsaw is a heavy-duty, durable, and handy tool which is excellent for milling. If you need to do milling lumber or slabs more often, you just need a chainsaw.
Why? Because you cannot afford readymade lumber all the time, you need.
When you sum up the cost at the end of your project, you’ll understand how costly they are! Also, you may not get the accurate size for your projects.
If you have access to logs or lumbers from your property, you should invest in a chainsaw. It will save a lot of your money.
What Size Chainsaw Do I Need For Milling?
When you need a saw for milling, then you should think of something big. The size of the chainsaw entirely depends on your job’s requirements.
Like, for milling more extensive lumber, you need a chainsaw with 60cc engine and 24” bar length.
For heavy-duty tasks, you might be thinking about what size chainsaw for milling. you need a chainsaw with bar length between 22” to 36”. Whichever your job requires, the bar length should be 2” longer than the wood’s dimension.
What Is A Ripping Chainsaw Chain?
Ripping the chainsaw chain is a specially-designed chain used for cutting parallel to the wood grain. It features a factory grind for making planks from more extensive woods.
This chain is used with chainsaw mills like an Alaskan sawmill. The ripping chain provides a smoother finish and resistance to damage.
It has a semi-chisel structure that keeps the chain sharper for long.
Picking Out the Best Chainsaw for Milling.
When you buy the wrong chainsaw, it only increases your struggle. Even milling with a chainsaw is not easy. But the right chainsaw can decrease your hassle.
To get the right chainsaw, you need to check the following factor in your chainsaw.
Milling Chainsaws Power.
Milling includes cutting a considerable length of wood, which requires tons of power. It works against the wood for an extended period. So, you need a chainsaw with more power.
It is better to go with the bigger motor as it will provide more power. The more energy comes from the powerful engine. For more common milling tasks, the 50cc engine is a common choice.
Chainsaw bar Length.
The bar length denotes the width of lumber you can cut. If you are handling larger trees, then you need a chainsaw with a considerable bar length. 20″ bar length is good enough for average milling tasks.
For more pressing tasks, you may need a chainsaw with 24″ bar length. So make sure to compare the bar length with the width of cuts.
You will need a mill attachment with your chainsaw. So make sure that the chainsaw is compatible with the mill attachment.
You may get the information of attachment in the chainsaw’s manual.
Gas-powered or electric? Which One to Choose?
While buying the best chainsaw, you’ll get two types of chainsaw based on their power source. One is the electric milling chainsaw, and the other is a gas-powered chainsaw.
The gas-powered chainsaw is more powerful than an electric chainsaw. But, an electric chainsaw is quieter than the gas-powered one.
If you do a lot of milling jobs, then you should buy a gas-powered chainsaw. Instead, you can purchase electric chainsaw as they are lighter and effective.
Weight of Chainsaw.
Another important factor about a chainsaw. Whether it is for milling or regular use, the heavyweight chainsaw can cause fatigue. Most chainsaw mill includes a frame that is made of sturdy material.
It causes fatigue while using it for long. Hence you should go with lightweight chainsaws.
You must consider the durability of the chainsaw when it is about milling. The generic chainsaw might break while handling milling tasks.
So, it is better to invest in a durable chainsaw even with a high price tag. The durable chainsaw ensures reliable performance.
The final thing you should consider is the price. Since milling lumber requires the most powerful chainsaw, so you need to pay extra for it. If you have options, then go with the affordable one.
As, you need to add the cost of fuel, maintenance, repair with it.
How Do You Use A Chainsaw?
Using a chainsaw is a dangerous task. But, if you are well expert, you can efficiently operate a chainsaw. Here is a step by step for beginners and experienced as well.
- Before you start, read all the safety precautions and instructions from the manual.
- Choose a suitable chainsaw for your project. If it is a gas-powered chainsaw. Then fill the gas or oil. Or if it is electric chainsaw then work nearby power socket.
- Check all the parts of a chainsaw before starting. Lubricate the fuel tank and bar lube tank.
- Place the start button to the ON position. If it has a decompression valve, then push the button. Then pump the primer bulb about six times.
- Hold the upper handle with your left hand and rear handle with the right side. Pull the handle until it fires.
- Then push the choke inside and pull again. Squeeze the control quickly undo the high idle. Now cut with bar tip, then gradually cut downward with the bottom of the bar.
- When you are done, turn off the ignition switch.
Chainsaw milling tips.
If you use chainsaw smartly, then you’ll surely get the maximum result out of it. Here are some milling tips for all of you.
- Start and stop the chainsaw slowly. Don’t go with full force straight away.
- Avoid pushing the saw in between. It is better to position the log on a small slope. With the right position, a sharp chain will pull itself into the cut.
- Always keep an eye on the cutting angle.
- You should cut at waist level, don’t go above shoulder height.
- Do not cut close to the ground, as there is a little chance for the kickback.
- Always make sure to cut from the side of the saw to avoid kickback.
- Before jumping into the milling, try to make a checklist.
- If you see dust around the caps, use a brush to remove it.
- Whenever you use the saw, check the chain tension, bar, and air filter thoroughly. Clean it or replace it if needed.
- Last but not least, don’t forget to wear protective equipment.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
Q: Does a ripping chainsaw chain can cut faster?
A: Usually ripping chains can produce smoother cuts, not the faster cuts. It can make more rapid cuts only if you use a longer bar chain. It can easily handle those larger pieces of wood.
Q: Do I need a break in a chainsaw?
A: Absolutely. Experts recommend giving the chainsaw a break-in period of 6-10 tanks of fuel. The chainsaw engine should not work at high RPMs at this period.
Q: What Causes kickback in a chainsaw?
A: Kickback occurs mostly while the moving chain is touching the object at the tip of the guide bar. Sometimes, it happens in the middle of cuts when the user is unable to control the chainsaw.
Q: What Else you can do with a chainsaw?
A: Apart from milling, you can use the chainsaw for any purposes. Like, chopping firewood, wood carving, sculpting foliage, and so on. But the main thing you can do is limbing, buckling, and felling.
Q: What are the chainsaw for milling wood?
A: Some brands are gaining popularity due to their effectivity and durability. Husqvarna Rancher, Echo timber wolf, Poulan Pro. TIMBERPRO professional series chainsaw is best among all.
Q: What size of Alaskan mill do I need for a chainsaw?
A: Well, it depends on the size of the logs. Generally, Alaskan Mills are available in five sizes including 24″, 30″, 36″, 48″, and 56″. When you are attaching the mill with your chainsaw.
Then you need to cut 2″ to 4″ width. If you need to cut 24″ logs, then you need a 30″ Alaskan mill for your chainsaw. You need to count this way.
Easy Chainsaw Milling Tips.
Truly, you need a dependable and well-balanced chainsaw for your milling jobs. In short, you need the best chainsaw for milling. We have included some of the best chainsaws in our review. Your task shouldn’t go wrong with any of our suggested chainsaw. As they all are highest-rated and capable of handling logging tasks.
Are you still wondering, is it worth to invest in these chainsaws? Indeed, it is. So, which one you liked most for your next project? I can say go for the best chainsaw for Alaskan mill.
- Lightweight mill can access nearly all timber
- High-quality mill cuts beams or lumber from 1/2in. To 13in. Thick and 17in. Wide
- Attaches to saw without drilling bar
- Designed to fit chain saws with 20in or less bars
- material type: Steal
Don’t forget to watch the movie. Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I am a professional chainsaw user. That’s why one of my friends told me to watch this true story. After watching this I was in a thrill.
We look forward to hearing about your experience.
This is Michel. I just love machine items. Basically I am a woodworker. That’s why I need different kinds of power tools for my projects.
I know which type of machinery tools are the best for your projects. Read my reviews. It will help you a lot to understand the basic functions of the tools.